Back to Life
A Sense of History

 

Over the time we have been the owners, people have stopped to tell us their story of the Wynne House. The elderly woman who recounts playing records with her friends in the dining room when she was a teenager. The middle aged man who remembers sliding down the staircase railing with the kids in the neighborhood. The family who recounts sitting around the dining room table on Sundays when engagements and pregnancies were announced. We have learned that the history of this house is more than the facts of who owned it and when, but it is the collective memory of so many who look on time spent in this house as foundational to their lives. We are the trustees of this house for now. If history is repeated, this home will be the place where foundational experiences are created and special memories are formed well into the future. The Wynne House is a piece of historic America.
History in Pictures
See just some of the what has transpired to bring The Wynne House back. Special thanks to Lois Jones for sharing these pictures. Her Father, Warren Slayden, Dr. Wynne's grandson, was born in the Wynne House.
The Rest of the Story The Wynne House was built in 1871 by Gustavius Adolphus Palm (1839-1917), a German-born architect who came to Holly Springs just before the Civil War and worked on many of the houses and churches in town. Palm is best known for his three great Italianate houses in Holly Springs: The Pines (1871) and Turner Lane House (1870), and this house, which Palm built for himself. G. A. Palm sold his house in 1882 to William Lea, and eventually moved to Memphis. Lea owned the house until 1895, when it was sold to I. D. Blumenthal. The Blumenthal family lived here until 1906, when they sold it to L. A. Rather. In 1919 the house was purchased by Doctor T. Carey Wynne, a dentist who lived here with his family until 1947. The Huggins family lived in the Wynne House from 1947 to 1973, and Reverend M. G. Schereff and his wife lived here from 1973 until 1999. Rosalind Wilcox owned the house for two years, before selling it to Irving Hall in 2001. . The Wynne House is a two-story flanking-gable frame Italianate house, with gable-front ell, a tent-roof bay window and three-bay hip-roof porch. The house is noted for its heavy cornice brackets, the hallmark of the Italianate style. Courtesy of Phillip Knecht “Hill Country History” https://hillcountryhistory.org/2016/05/02/holly-springs-wynne-house-1872/
Warren Slayden on the front bumper Dr. T.C. Wynne beside him 02/07/1922

 

Back of House 1927 Virginia Wynne Slayden Robinson, Daughter of Dr. T, C, Wynne Warren Slayden Grandson of Dr. T. C. Wynne Corner of House ?Fence to Rt. 02/07/1932 Shep Smith Still lives in Holly Springs Father of Shepard Smith Fox News Anchor
Backyard 1929? Warren Slayden
Corner of House / Porch 02/07/1937 L-R Warren Slayden, Shep Smith, Pat Lester
Back Area? Possibly tennis court area? 02/1945 Warren Slayden
The Wynne House, located at the corner of Randolph and Roberts Streets in Holly Springs, Mississippi, was built around 1871 by G.A. Palm, a German immigrant. The house is named after Dr. T. Carey Wynne, a local dentist who, with his family, lived in the house for many years. The Wynne House, located at the corner of Randolph and Roberts Streets in Holly Springs, Mississippi, was built around 1872 by G.A. Palm, a German immigrant. The house is named after Dr. T. Carey Wynne, a local dentist who, with his family, lived in the house for many years.
The Wynne House Inn and Hummingbird Cottage are managed by Corporate Homestead LLC

 

Short-term lodging that feels like home®